The SBS Small Business Management Team provides essential services to the operational side of a small business:
- BOOKKEEPING AND ACCOUNTING functions include active or passive A/R, A/P, bank and credit card reconciliations, debt service, posting payroll entries, period-end journal entries.
- FINANCE functions including Line of Credit applications and renewals, cash-flow management, funds transfers, cash reserves, budgets.
- MANAGEMENT functions including collection processes and implementation, trouble-shooting irregular or over charges, formation of company policies for reimbursement and credit card usage, payroll submission
- INTERNAL REPORTING functions including financial statements, cash position reports, budget to actual reports, financial projections, cash-flow projections, Job and Project costing reports, A/R Aging reports
- AGENCY REPORTING functions including Sales and Use Tax Returns, Business Personal Property Tax Returns, Business License applications or renewals, amended or appealed returns
Good financial management starts with a computerized system that encompasses a traditional general ledger accounting system with relevant financial management functions. SBS has chosen to work with QuickBooks by Intuit and the SBM Team is annually certified on the software. The versions include QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions.
The Small Business Management Team facilitates, implements and trains clients on this system:
- Install software
- Create Chart of Accounts customized by industry and reporting needs
- Set up classes for job and project costing, if applicable
- Create customized templates for invoicing, including logo and payment information
- Address client and employee reimbursed expenses
- Enter beginning balances from prior year tax returns
- Reconcile and set up equity accounts
- Training for one or more individuals responsible for bookkeeping and accounting functions
Oversight and Special Projects
Oversight is a valuable role for growth, as well as mature businesses. It is a must for all businesses on an annual basis.
- Quarterly Review Process. All transactions are reviewed by a senior consultant. Account balances are reviewed and tied back to third party documents. Missing checks, voided checks and bank reconciliations are handled.
- Annual Review Process. Prior to tax preparation, SBS clients forward the entityâ€™s QuickBooks file. Transactions are reviewed and questions posed. Typical adjustment areas are interest expense, depreciation/amortization, loan balances, cash accounts, and capital asset determination
- The Comptroller role is assigned by clients to SBM Team consultants. This role includes the review processes but also involves special tracking projects such as commissions, and meetings with owners/principals.
PROJECT WORK as handled by the SBM Team is:
- Annual compilation of data and reconciliation
- Clean-up on accounting files that contain a volume of transactions and several operating and money market accounts.
The Small Business Management Team works in a variety of industries, among those: consultation, real estate, distribution, hospitality, sales, non-profit and design.